· 4 1/2 cups cubed challa bread
· 3 cups peeled and diced Fuji apples
· 1 lemon, juiced
· 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
· 1/2 cup dried cranberries
· 2 cups half-and-half*
· 6 eggs
· 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· Whipped cream, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 by 13-inch baking dish with room temperature butter.
Place cubed brioche in the baking dish. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine diced apples with lemon juice, brown sugar and cranberries. Pour over bread.
In a large bowl, whisk together half-and-half, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Pour custard over bread. Allow to saturate for a few minutes.
Bake for 40 minutes until pudding sets. Serve with whipped cream.
· 1 pint heavy cream
· 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
· 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Place a medium bowl in the freezer for 1 hour before whipping cream.
Add heavy cream to chilled bowl and whip with a hand mixer. Add liqueur and powdered sugar and combine well.
*Cook's Note: this is the correct amount.
Posted on Tue, March 27, 2012
by Aaron filed under